File a Police Complaint
How to File a Complaint
The Office of Police Complaints (OPC) provides a variety of ways to file a police misconduct complaint. A completed, signed complaint form must be received by OPC within 45 days of the date of the incident. For information on what types of complaints OPC investigates, download the agency brochure at www.policecomplaints.dc.gov.
Complaint forms can be obtained by any of the methods below:
- Online at www.policecomplaints.dc.gov
- In person at OPC's office located at 1400 I Street, NW, Suite 700
- By phone at 202-727-3838, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Calling OPC's 24-hour, toll-free hotline at 866-588-0569
- At any Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) district station [MPD will forward the complaint to OPC]
Complaint forms can be submitted:
- In person or by mail to the address above
- By fax to (202) 727-9182
- By dropping forms off at any MPD district station
Complaint forms and brochures are also available at the following locations:
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of the Nation's Capital
4301 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 434
Gays and Lesbians Against Violence (GLOV)
2000 14th St., NW, Suite 105
(202) 682-2245; firstname.lastname@example.org
Office on Asian Pacific and Islander Affairs
441 4th St., NW, Suite 721 North
(202) 727-3120; email@example.com
Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless
1200 U St., NW
The primary goal of OPC is to investigate and resolve allegations of police misconduct against MPD and OPS officers. However, the agency is also charged with reducing tension between police and the public by fostering increased communication and understanding. Consistent with this goal, OPC offers citizens the opportunity to commend officers who do exemplary work servicing the public.
If you have witnessed an officer doing something that deserves praise and you would like to submit a commendation, you may fill out a commendation form on MPD’s website.
Once completed, the commendation form will be sent by MPD to the officer’s supervisor, shown to the commended officer, and placed permanently in the officer’s personnel file. Please include as much of the requested information as possible so that the commendation can be received by the appropriate officer.