How to File a Complaint
The Office of Police Complaints (OPC) provides a variety of ways to file a police misconduct complaint. A completed, signed complaint form must be received within 45 days of the date of the incident.
OPC investigativesthe following allegations: harassment; use of unnecessary or excessive force; use of language or conduct that is insulting, demeaning, or humiliating; discriminatory treatment; retaliation for filing a complaint with OPC; and failure to wear or display required identification or identify oneself by name and badge number when requested to do so by a member of the public.
File a complaint online by clicking here.
OTHER FILING METHODS
- In person at OPC's office located at 1400 I Street, NW, Suite 700
- Calling 202-727-3838, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Calling OPC's 24-hour, toll-free hotline at 866-588-0569
- At any Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) district station
You can also visit, OPC's website at www.policecomplaints.dc.gov to download a complaint form.
Complaint forms can be submitted:
- By email at email@example.com (scan and attach to email)
- Mail to the address above
- By fax to (202) 727-9182
- By dropping forms off at any MPD district station (MPD will forward the complaint to OPC)
You can also contact or pick up a complaint form or brochure at one of our Community Partner locations listed below:
American Civil Liberties Union of the Nation's Capital
(202) 457-0800; firstname.lastname@example.org
American Friends Service Committee
1822 R St., NW, First Floor
(202) 544-0324; email@example.com
Covenant House Washington
2001 Mississippi Ave., SE
D.C. Anti-Violence Project
2000 14th St., NW, Suite 105
(202) 682-2245; firstname.lastname@example.org
Greater Washington Urban League
2901 14th St., NW
Office on Asian Pacific and Islander Affairs
441 4th St., NW, Suite 721 North
(202) 727-3120; email@example.com
Office of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Affairs
2000 14th St., NW, Second Floor
(202) 727-9493; firstname.lastname@example.org
Office on Human Rights
441 4th St., NW, Suite 570N
(202) 727-4559; email@example.com
Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless
1200 U St., NW
The primary goal of OPC is to investigate and resolve allegations of police misconduct against MPD and OPS officers. However, the agency is also charged with reducing tension between police and the public by fostering increased communication and understanding. Consistent with this goal, OPC offers citizens the opportunity to commend officers who do exemplary work servicing the public.
If you have witnessed an officer doing something that deserves praise and you would like to submit a commendation, you may fill out a commendation form on MPD’s website.
Once completed, the commendation form will be sent by MPD to the officer’s supervisor, shown to the commended officer, and placed permanently in the officer’s personnel file. Please include as much of the requested information as possible so that the commendation can be received by the appropriate officer.